Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Connecticut Defenders @ Reading Phillies - July 4, 2009

On July 4 I went to see the Connecticut Defenders take on the Phillies in Reading. With Madison Bumgarner Connecticut has one of the best pitching prospects in the minors. Madison has signed for me in the past both in the fall instructional league and while playing with Augusta last year, but usually only signs one card each time. Since he has some many cards that have come out since last year, including a new 2009 Eastern League Top Prospect card, I wanted to get to Reading early in order to meet the bus and maximize my autograph opportunitys with Madison. This actually worked as I was able to get two cards signed.

Also on the team was Tim Alderson, another top San Fransisco prospect. He signed all 5 cards I gave him, no problem. The rest of the team all signed well too except for Mike McBryde. He is also one of the Giants' top prospects. He ignored a request early on by another collector and said no going to the field before the game. Now I'm not making a commentary about this, just reporting what I experienced. It was just stark in that everyone else took the time with all of the fans to accommodate their autograph requests. Even Bumgarner held court heading to the stands to chart signing for everyone.

Actually thinking about it I might have to include Eddy Martinez-Esteve with McBryde as far as not signing right before the game. He went right by everyone to and from the field without stopping to sign, but he had signed two cards for me coming off the bus early in the afternoon.


For those who want to know, the Reading Phillies team set is also out.

No comments: